This is the best Instant Pot Lentil Soup. I just love it. A lentil soup recipe that is loaded with vegetables like carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. It is lip-smacking good. Lentil Soup in the Instant Pot is also so easy to make.
Lentil Soup Instant Pot
I was feeling quite under the weather when I created this instant pot recipe. I wanted some soup to warm me up and make me feel better. I also was not in the mood to wait. I was in a cranky mood. A healthy instant pot soup was the way to go. Cooking soup in the pressure cooker is about as easy as it gets.
This recipe that I created is a vegetarian recipe. It has plenty of plant based protein so if you are vegan this is a diet-friendly recipe. For this recipe, I used brown lentils. This is what I had in my cupboard. You can use really any kind of lentils. I prefer brown lentils or green lentils. The red lentil tends to break down quite a bit when cooked in the electric pressure cooker. Red lentils are good for thickening the soup.
You really can use any kind of lentils that you prefer. Some prefer to use a mix of lentils in their soup creations. My motivation when creating this soup was to make something quick tasty and easy that had a lot of great flavors. This soup has a little bit of everything that I had left in my refrigerator. I like potatoes in my lentil soup. That it seems is a personal preference but I wanted it a little bit hearty and I think that including the potatoes makes it good.
How to Make Lentil Soup
There really is not much to making this soup at all. You can find the recipe card below of course but here are the steps tp make this recipe.
- Prep and rinse the veggies and the lentils– Rinse your lentils and wash and prep your veggies. Cut your veggies a little bigger than normal so they do not get overcooked.
- Add ingredients to the Instant Pot– For this recipe all the ingredients go in the pressure cooker at the same time. This is essentially a Dump and Go Soup Recipe.
- Pressure cook soup for 12 minutes- The cooking time for this soup is 12 minutes. Keep in mind it does take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize.
- Quick-release the pressure- Do a quick release on the Instant Pot and remove the lid. Give the soup a few stirs. If you would like a thicker soup you can remove about a cup of the soup and put it in the blender and then return to the pot. You can also use a stick blender if you have one of those. They make thickening soup easy.
Can This be Made on the Stovetop or in a Slow Cooker?
Yes! It sure can be made on the stovetop. Just bring all the ingredients to a boil and then simmer about 30 minutes. For the slow cooker add all ingredients and cook on LOW setting for 6 hours.
Calories in Lentil Soup
Lentil soup makes for an easy lunch or soothing dinner. Luckily, it’s also low in calories, making it a smart choice for your healthy diet.
Kitchen Essentials and Ingredients
Best Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 Cups Green or Brown Lentils
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth or stock of choice.
- 6 Carrots Rough Chopped
- 1 Purple Onion Diced
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 1 Potato Diced about a cup
- 4 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro Optional
- 10 Turns Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Rinse lentils in a strainer or colander. Chop carrots, onions, celery and potato. Chop them in bigger pieces so they do not overcook in the pressure cooker. Add all ingredients to the the Instant Pot. Give everything a quick stir. Put lid on instant pot and turn the valve to “SEAL.” Press “PRESSURE COOK” setting on Instant Pot and set for HIGH PRESSURE. Set timer to 12 MINUTES. When the timer beeps MANUALLY release pressure and remove lid from Instant Pot. Stir soup and enjoy.