Instant Pot Eye of Round Roast Beef. YES!! It can be done with your pressure cooker. It is done quickly and it is RARE just like roast beef from the Deli.
This eye of round that I cooked in the pressure cooker is also Keto, Whole 30, Weight Watchers, and Paleo friendly.
Instant Pot Eye of Round Roast
Great for sandwiches, snacks, and salads too. It is so fresh and delicious and there are no unhealthy ingredients in this roast beef at all. Basically it is the seasonings and a little bit of olive oil. This Instant Pot roast beef is the bomb.
- Instant Pot Eye of Round Roast
- How to Cook Eye of Round Roast in the Instant Pot
- Ingredients that you will need to make Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef
- Temperature for Rare Roast Beef
- How to Serve Eye of Round?
- Roast Beef Meat Storage in the Fridge
- Kitchen Essentials Equipment
- Instant Pot Roast Beef RARE (Deli Style)
This roast is pink and delicious from end to end. This is better than anything that you can get at your local delicatessen or supermarket. Not only that when you make it yourself not only do you control what goes into the roast but making it yourself is so much more inexpensive.
At the time that I am writing this post, Roast Beef at the Deli is $14.99 per pound for Boars Head beef. Why not make it yourself? It’s easy to make this roast beef in the pressure cooker. It doesn’t matter which one that you have.
This eye of round Instant Pot recipe is meant to be cooked on LOW PRESSURE. Do not cook using high pressure.
How to Cook Eye of Round Roast in the Instant Pot
First off let me say cooking this roast in the pressure cooker is easy to do. The cut of beef that I used in this recipe was Eye of Round Roast Beef. It is lean enough and priced right and perfect for making sandwiches. You can also use Top Round Roast Beef or Bottom Round Roast Beef but I have found that this is my favorite cut of meat for making deli-style roast beef in the Instant Pot.
Ingredients that you will need to make Instant Pot Rare Roast Beef
- Eye of Round Roast
- Italian Seasoning
- Kosher Salt
- Beef Broth or Chicken Broth
- Olive Oil
- Bay Leaf
- Red Wine (Optional)
This is what an Eye of Round Beef Roast looks like. This is NOT a chuck roast. The first thing that I do when I cook one of these is make up a seasoning blend for the roast beef. My seasoning blend consists of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and a little bit of olive oil.
Once the seasoning is complete I put the roast in a storage bag and put it in the fridge. I like to put it in there overnight so all the seasoning gets deep into the roast beef. If you don’t want to wait that long you can start cooking it after it sits in the fridge in the seasonings for at least 1 hour.
Once your roast has marinated in the spices for a bit we are going to give the roast beef a quick sear just to seal in all that flavor of the spices.
Turn on your Pot to Saute and put it on the HIGH setting. Wait for the pressure cooker to heat up and say “HOT” on the screen. Put about a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot and give it about 15 seconds to get hot.
Sear the roast beef fat side down for 20-30 seconds ONLY. Sear all other sides of the roast beef for just 5 seconds. When that is done remove roast beef from Instant Pot and set aside.
Pour in your Beef Broth and Worcestershire sauce into the bottom of the Instant Pot with your Bay Leaf. Then add the trivet to the pressure cooker so it looks like the photo above.
Next, you want to put the Roast Beef back into the pressure cooker. Once the roast is back in the pressure cooker put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to the SEAL Position.
Push the Pressure Cook Button Until the pressure cooker is on the LOW PRESSURE setting. This is IMPORTANT. Once you are on the LOW PRESSURE setting set the timer for 4 MINUTES. Also make sure that your “KEEP WARM” setting is ON.
When the cook time has passed and the timer beeps DO NOT TOUCH THE INSTANT POT. Leave the roast beef in the Instant Pot for about 30 Minutes. This is the standby keep warm cook time for about a 2 Pound Roast Beef.
If your Roast Beef is bigger then it is going to take a bit longer. If its around 2 pounds check the roast after 30 minutes. Do a Natural Release of the pressure by turning the quick release valve to the open position.
Temperature for Rare Roast Beef
For Rare Roast Beef, we are looking for an internal temperature of 115 degrees.
If your roast beef has not yet reached that temperature just put the lid back on the Instant Pot and let the roast beef sit in there on the “KEEP WARM” setting for a bit longer.
I find it is about 10 Minutes per 1/2 Pound of Roast. I always check it every 10 minutes after the initial 30 minutes KEEP WARM time. I like it rare so usually no more than 40 minutes for me. Use the temperature probe and it will come out perfect.
DO NOT PRESSURE COOK THE ROAST BEEF ANY LONGER. Just leave it in the Instant Pot on Keep Warm until the Roast Beef reaches 115 degrees or your desired temperature. 115-120 degrees (Rare) 125 degrees (Medium Rare).
When your roast beef has reached your desired cooking temperature remove the roast from the Instant Pot and wrap in foil and place on a plate and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
How to Slice Roast Beef Thin.
What I like to do is just place the Roast Beef in the fridge overnight so it gets nice and cold. The cold roast beef is much easier to thin slice for deli sandwiches.
Please Share this recipe across social media so I can continue to bring you FREE and delicious recipes. I really appreciate it.
How to Serve Eye of Round?
Of course, the best way to serve this is as a big juicy sandwich. After all this is a post about deli style beef, but even though this is not a prime rib I have sliced it thin and served is with some side dishes.
For example mashed potatoes and Brussel Sprouts recipe. This makes a great family dinner. For beef, it is also quite healthy and low in saturated fat.
A simple au jus sauce can also be made out of the leftover drippings. I like to add in a Tablespoon of soy sauce, fish sauce, and some Worchester sauce to boost the flavor. I let the liquid reduce and thicken on saute mode about 15 minutes.
Roast Beef Meat Storage in the Fridge
I just wanted to make it known since I have gotten a lot of questions and comments stating that people think that this roast beef will have no longevity in the refrigerator. This is simply NOT TRUE. I am telling you that this roast beef stays fresh and keeps it RARE look for 4 to 5 Days.
You do want to store the meat in a good airtight container. This is also why I don’t make BIG batches at a time. I mean if you have a big family that is no problem at all. There won’t be any leftovers with this recipe that I promise.
Kitchen Essentials Equipment
Perfect Eye of Round Roast Beef Recipe.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Roast Beef RARE (Deli Style)
- 2-21/4 Pound Beef Round Eye Roast
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Coarse Salt or Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Beef or Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil for Browning
- Coat roast beef in salt pepper and Italian seasoning. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge at least an hour or best overnight to let flavors get into roast beef.￼
- Press sauté on instant pot and set to normal setting. Wait for instant pot screen to says “HOT.”
- Put Olive oil in bottom of Instant Pot.￼
- Place roast beef and bottom of instant pot fat side down. Sear for no longer than 20 seconds.￼ Then sauté all other sides of roast beef for 5 seconds.￼ follow these steps exactly. When this is complete remove roast beef and set aside.￼
- Pour beef or chicken broth into bottom of instant pot and add Worcestershire sauce and the Bay Leaf.￼ Put trivet in bottom of instant pot and Place roast beef on top of trivet.￼
- Put lid on top of instant pot and move valve to “Seal”￼ And place instant pot on “LOW PRESSURE” for a Cook Time of 4 MINUTES. Make sure “Keep Warm” setting is on and on “Normal” setting.
- Once cooking time is complete let roast beef sit in Instant pot for about 25 minutes on the “Keep Warm” setting. Then chick meat temperature. We are looking for RARE temperature of 115 degrees. If beef is not yet at that temperature put lid back on and leave in KEEP WARM mode and let roast beef sit in there longer. DO NOT PRESSURE COOK THE ROAST BEEF MORE. Just simply leave in pressure cooker longer. I find it is around 10 minute per 10 degrees.
- Once you reach the 115 degrees cooking temperature remove roast beef and wrap in foil and let sit 20 minutes. Then put in a storage bag in the fridge for a couple hours. This will make it much easier to slice into thin slices.
- You can use any seasoning on the roast beef that you like. The step of seasoning it beforehand with the salt, pepper and seasoning does make a difference in flavor but not mandatory.