Instant Pot Salisbury Steak was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Well, I give you this Easy Salisbury Steak Meatballs Recipe. These Can also be made in the Slow Cooker.
I made them this time in the Instant Pot and they are delicious. I mean combining Salisbury Steak and a Meatball should have been done when I was a kid.
Salisbury Steak Meatballs
Salisbury Steak Meatballs have all the flavor of my long-time favorite. It really doesn’t matter if you make them in the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker.
This is an easy recipe either way. I chose to serve these Salisbury Steak Meatballs over macaroni. I just thought it was a bit different and I thought well I am making meatballs and that goes great with pasta.
You can just as easily pair this dish with mashed potatoes or noodles of your choice. I even imagine it would be good over rice. At the time when I came with this idea for Salisbury Steak Meatballs, I had some leftover macaroni in the fridge and that sounded like it would go together so I took a shot and I think it was delicious.
It was fairly quick and easy to make and if you already have the pasta prepared this recipe is pretty much a no-brainer. If you have kids they are going to LOVE this Salisbury Steak Meatball Recipe.
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is made from ground beef and served with a gravy or brown sauce. It is formed into a steak shape to resemble a steak. I like to describe it like a steak with the texture of a meatball.
This can be served over pasta like macaroni or it is also really good over mashed potatoes too. This is a classic recipe that I put a modern style update on.
Salisbury Meatballs Ingredients
Measurements and cooking process in recipe card below
- Ground Beef
- Bread Crumbs ( I use Panko)
- Milk or Cream
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Steak Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Beef Broth
How to Make Salisbury Steak Meatballs in the Slow Cooker and the Instant Pot
Salisbury Steak Slow Cooker Recipe Cooking Time
I made these Salisbury Steak Meatballs originally in the Instant Pot. They can also be made in the Slow cooker or Crock Pot. The process is very similar. If you are going to make the meatballs in the slow cooker then you would first have to brown the meatballs in a skillet in about 1 Tablespoon of Olive oil.
Then add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except the cornstarch and water slurry. You want to save that for the end. The cook time is 3 hours on High or 4 hours on Low. After cook time is complete add the cornstarch slurry and stir and then let the sauce thicken for another 20 minutes.
What to do with Leftover Meatballs
They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days or up to 3 months in the freezer. The gravy can also be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer
Other Recipes for you to Enjoy
Kitchen Essentials and Items Used in Recipe
Salisbury Steak Meatballs (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker)
- 1 Pound Ground Beef I used 80/20 Grass-fed Beef
- 1/3 Cup breadcrumbs.
- 2 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp. Milk or Cream I used Half and Half
- 1 Splash of Worcestershire
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Beef Broth or Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. Water
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Parsley
- 8 oz. Macaroni
- Enough water to cover macaroni by about 2 inches
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Olive Oil
- I put the meatballs over macaroni which I had already prepared, but now would be a good time to cook the macaroni. I cook the macaroni in the instant pot. I put in about a half 8 oz. of macaroni and cover the macaroni with about 1 to 2 inches of water and salt of the water with 2 teaspoons of salt and about 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Put the lid on the instant pot seal the valve and cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes. Do a manual pressure release immediately after cooking is complete. Have a rag handy just in case pressure valve spits a little bit. Draining macaroni.
- YOU CAN ALSO PREPARE MACARONI AHEAD OF TIME ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS.
- In a bowl combine all your ingredients for your meatballs except the oil. Mix together with your hands until everything is incorporated. using a spoon scoop out enough to form a meatball about the size of a golf ball. Do this until you have used up all of the mixture. It’s somewhere around a dozen meatballs. Let meatballs sit for about 15 minutes to absorb moisture.
- Push sauté on the instant pot until the more setting lights up. Once the instant pot screen reads “Hot” we are ready to start browning the meat balls. Add the tablespoon of olive oil. Then add the meatballs. If there’s not enough room doing and two batches. Do not crowd the meatballs during the browning process. Brown meatballs on all sides for about 3 Minutes. Once you have browned all the meatballs remove them from the instant pot.
- Add onions to instant pot and Brown for about 4 Minutes. Deglaze instant pot with beef broth scraping bottom of pan with a spoon to get all the flavor bits.
- Return meatballs to instant pot and be careful not to squish them. Put lid on Instant Pot and Seal valve. Push cancel on the instant pot and then push Meat Button and set timer for 5 minutes. When cooking time is complete do a natural release for 5 minutes then release pressure manually. Remove lid from Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and water and blend until smooth. Press cancel on Instant Pot and then press sauté button. Add cornstarch mixture into instant pot and stir slowly sauce should thicken almost immediately. Once sauce is thickened push cancel on the instant pot and then press the Keep Warm button. Your meatballs are now ready to be served. Serve over macaroni and top with chopped parsley.