Chicken Curry has a long history with me. I’ve always enjoyed it but up until about 15 years ago I never tried to make it. I like all different varieties. From Thai curry, Chinese curry, Indian curry and Jamaican curry. They’re all different and they all have their own special flavor. For me it all started after tasting Jamaican curry. Being that I’m from South Florida Caribbean food is the big staple in this area. I like the flavor and the spiciness of it. Since then I have tried all kinds of curry and enjoy them all. This Instant Pot Chicken Curry is one of my regular goto items.
This one is one that I came up with let’s say kind of shooting from the hip.Normally cooking this curry would take anywhere from 45 minutes to about an hour. This is an instant pot version that I created when I got my instant pot to eat more curry and make it quicker and simple. When I say simple I’m not kidding. I even put the chicken in the instant pot completely frozen. I know that doesn’t sound appetizing but trust me it’s delicious. You can have this curry in about 15 minutes Cook time… Seriously.
This curry has all the goodies. You want to start the good curry powder of course. This curry has ginger, garlic, cilantro and a few other things let make it really tasty. It’s great for lunch for dinner and I even keep it ready to rock in the freezer for a meal prep thing. This stuff is really yummy so let’s get on to making it.
Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- 1 pound Chicken Thighs (FROZEN)
- 2 cloves Minced Garlic
- 4 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Minced Ginger
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder (Sun Brand or your choice)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Scallions Chopped
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 tsp Salt (Salt to taste)
- 2 tbsp Water (for cornstarch slurry)
- THIS RECIPE IS FOR CHICKEN THAT IS FROZEN. IF you use defrosted chicken decrease cook time by 3 minutes.Put frozen chicken in Instant Pot. Then add Cilantro,Ginger,Curry Powder,Turmeric,Scallions,Chicken Broth to Instant Pot.Put lid on Instant Pot. Turn Valve to SEAL Position. Push POULTRY Button and set Cook Time for 15 Minutes. Let Instant Pot Pressurize. When cook time is complete do a NATURAL RELEASE of the Instant Pot. Open Instant Pot and break up chicken with 2 forks. I don't shred it I just break it into pieces.Hit Cancel on your Instant Pot and then Hit SAUTE. Push the SAUTE button until the MORE light is lit.Mix together Cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. Water until mixed. When curry is bubbling stir in cornstarch mixture and wait until curry boils. Let boil 2 minutes and sauce will thicken. You are now ready to enjoy it.TIP: When curry is done thickening i usually hit the Cancel Button again and then Hit the KEEP Warm button and Set the Timer because I don't eat it right away sometimes. I just put the lid back on and let it chill. If you do this make sure that the valve on the lid is in the OPEN position so steam can escape.Ganish on top with Chopped Cilantro.SERVE OVER RICE.