I love this Jamaican Steamed Cabbage recipe so much. It is so tasty and really easy to make. It has of course cabbage, onions, some shredded carrot, and some julienned peppers.
This Jamaican cabbage is loaded with Caribbean flavor. I am from South Florida and Caribbean food is really popular around the area. If you haven’t tried any Jamaican or Caribbean food, in general, you are really missing out.
One of the things I love about this Jamaican Steamed Cabbage Recipe is that it goes with pretty much any dish. I started making is it to go with a dish that I call Island Chicken which is also delicious, but you don’t have to make that to have this at all.
This dish would go great with most chicken dishes, pork dishes or even fish recipes. Since it is so easy to prepare and so versatile it is a great dish to make is you are having a party or bringing a dish to a party. You can throw in pretty much any vegetables that you desire.
Jamaican Cabbage Ingredients
- Green Cabbage
- Bell Peppers (Red, Green, Yellow, or Orange)
- Broth (Chicken or Vegetable)
- Garlic (Garlic Powder or Fresh)
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Optional) I didn’t use it. They don’t like me.
- Oil (Vegetable, Coconut or Avocado Oil)
How to Make Jamaican Cabbage
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the sliced onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add in the chicken or vegetable broth, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Turn heat to medium and cover pan for 5 minutes to get the cabbage to wilt a bit.
- Add Red Pepper and Carrots. Stir to combine. Cover pan and lower heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or desired doneness.
Full Recipe and ingredient amounts in recipe card at bottom
How Long to Steam Cabbage?
The time that you steam cabbage really depends on how small you cut the vegetables and how high that you have the heat on the pan.
I usually turn the pan to simmer and plan on the cabbage to steam about 10 to 15 minutes. If you like your cabbage a little bit softer then cook it longer in 5 minute increments until you like the texture.
Caribbean Cabbage Recipe Variations
Here are a few variations to add if you would like to change it up a bit and do something a little bit different. This is fun to do because this Caribbean style cabbage is versatile.
- Green Beans
Jamaican Cabbage Weight Watchers Points Friendly
There is 0 Freestyle Smartpoints in this Jamaican Cabbage Recipe making it Freestyle Weight Watcher Friendly.
Items Used in Recipe and Kitchen Essentials
All-Clad 4405 Stainless Steel Tri-ply Saute Pan with Lid Cookware, 5-Quart
304 Stainless Steel Kitchen Cooking Tongs, 9″ and 12″ Set of 2
Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
365 Everyday Value, Organic Thyme
Jamaican Steamed Cabbage Recipe (Easy)
- 1 Half Head Cabbage Sliced
- 1 Half Onion Sliced
- 1 Half Red Pepper Julienned
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Carrot
- 1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Oil. Coconut, Vegetable or Avocado oil
- Cut half onion into quarter inch slices
- Cut cabbage into thin slices.
- Julienne Red Pepper
- Heat pan to medium-high heat. When the pan is heated add oil to the pan. Saute onion for about 3 minutes. Add shredded cabbage to the pan and saute 3 more minutes. Add chicken broth and Thyme and Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and stir to combine. Turn heat to medium and cover pan for 5 minutes to get the cabbage to wilt a bit. Then add Red Pepper and Carrots. Stir to combine. Cover pan and lower heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or desired doneness.