This Jamaican steamed cabbage recipe is so tasty and really easy to make. It has of course cabbage, onions, some shredded carrot bell pepper, and some julienned bell peppers.
This Jamaican dish of white cabbage is loaded with a Caribbean flavor. I am from South Florida and Caribbean food is really popular around the area. I especially like Jamaican food. Tons of flavor with a little kick.
Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
One of the things I love about this Jamaican steamed cabbage dish is that it is a great side dish. I started making it to go with a dish that I call Island Chicken which is also delicious, but you don’t have to make that to have this at all.
This dish is a great side dish for chicken dishes, pork dishes, or even fish recipes. Since it is so easy to prepare. This is a great dish to make is you are having a party or bringing a dish to a party.
You can throw in pretty much any vegetables that you desire. It ends up just like cabbage at the Jamaican restaurant. This dish is so good I usually am eating out of the pan as it is cooking.
The base of this dish is shredded cabbage and carrots. Onion, garlic, green onions and don’t forget a scotch bonnet pepper if you want some heat.
- Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
- Jamaican Jerk Cabbage Ingredients
- How to Make Jamaican Cabbage
- How Long to Steam Cabbage?
- What Type of Cabbage Do You Use for Jamaican Steamed Cabbage?
- Caribbean Cabbage Recipe Variations
- Jamaican Cabbage is Weight Watchers Recipe Friendly
- Jamaican Steamed Cabbage Recipe (Easy)
Jamaican style cabbage is really just a delicious dish. Different than standard recipe for steam cabbage. Once you try this Jamaican cabbage recipe you will be in love.
Not only is this a great recipe it is a great way to use up extra green cabbage and clean out the vegetables in your fridge.
Quick and easy recipe to make that is full of flavor, and it is not bland. People can’t seem to get enough of this recipe when I make it. It is a great side for Sunday dinners.
There are so many reasons to try Jamaican cabbage. It is quick to cook and even kids like to eat it.
If you are wondering how many calories are in steamed cabbage I will tell you It is high in fiber and antioxidants. Cabbage has a lot of vitamin C and is low in calories at 35 calories per cup.
Cabbage is also cheap to buy and also gluten free. I am going to show you the proper cabbage procedure of how to steam the cabbage for maximum flavor.
Jamaican Jerk Cabbage Ingredients
1 Half Head Cabbage Sliced
1 Half Onion Sliced
1 Half Red Pepper Julienned
1/2 Cup Shredded Carrot
1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. Salt or to taste
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Oil. Coconut oil, Vegetable or Avocado oil
How to Make Jamaican Cabbage
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or large pot over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add the sliced onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add in the chicken or vegetable broth, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Turn heat to medium and cover pan for 5 minutes to get the cabbage to wilt a bit.
- Add Red Pepper and Carrots. Stir to combine. Cover pan and lower heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or desired doneness.
Full Recipe and ingredient amounts in recipe card at bottom
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and sauté 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the Cabbage and Chicken or Vegetable Broth – Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook for three minutes. Add in the chicken or vegetable broth. Season with thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
Turn heat to medium and cover pan for 5 minutes to get the cabbage to wilt a bit. Add Red Pepper and Carrots. Stir to combine.
Cover pan and continue cooking cabbage. Lower heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or desired doneness.
How Long to Steam Cabbage?
The time that you steam cabbage really depends on how small you cut the vegetables and how high that you have the heat on the pan.
I usually turn the pan to simmer and plan on the cabbage to steam about 10 to 15 minutes. If you like your cabbage a little bit softer then cook it longer in 5 minute increments until you like the texture.
What Type of Cabbage Do You Use for Jamaican Steamed Cabbage?
I like to use green or white cabbage for this recipe. When selecting a cabbage you want it to be firm when you squeeze it. For example, you DO NOT want to use leafy cabbage like Bok Choy as it will become soggy and wilt when cooked.
If you want to add in even more color to the dish add some purple cabbage as well. Corn is another great addition to the dish and adds a nice texture.
Caribbean Cabbage Recipe Variations
Here are a few variations to add if you would like to change it up a bit and do something a little bit different. This is fun to do because this Caribbean style cabbage is versatile.
- Green Beans
- Red Cabbage (optional)
Jamaican Cabbage is Weight Watchers Recipe Friendly
This is is the best family friendly Weight Watchers recipe. There is 0 Freestyle Smartpoints in this Cabbage Recipe.
Hence making this recipe Weight Watchers Freestyle Friendly. What’s not to love about this cabbage? Give it a try. It is so yummy.
Items Used in Recipe and Kitchen Essentials
All-Clad 4405 Stainless Steel Tri-ply Saute Pan with Lid Cookware, 5-Quart
304 Stainless Steel Kitchen Cooking Tongs, 9″ and 12″ Set of 2
Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
365 Everyday Value, Organic Thyme
Jamaican Steamed Cabbage Recipe (Easy)
- 1 Half Head Cabbage Sliced
- 1 Half Onion Sliced
- 1 Half Red Pepper Julienned
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Carrot
- 1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Oil. Coconut, Vegetable or Avocado oil
- Cut half onion into quarter inch slices
- Cut cabbage into thin slices.
- Julienne Red Pepper
- Heat pan to medium-high heat. When the pan is heated add oil to the pan. Saute onion for about 3 minutes. Add shredded cabbage to the pan and saute 3 more minutes. Add chicken broth and Thyme and Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and stir to combine. Turn heat to medium and cover pan for 5 minutes to get the cabbage to wilt a bit. Then add Red Pepper and Carrots. Stir to combine. Cover pan and lower heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or desired doneness.