These air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are fantastic. This is one of my favorite lunches for late night snacks. Slices of bread piled high with ham and gooey melted cheese. Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are so good in the air fryer.
I think it’s pretty safe to say that everyone likes a grilled cheese sandwich. But the addition of savory ham takes it to another level. The Rosemary ham I made this sandwich with is so flavorful. Of course, you can use any ham.
If you are looking for a side dish to go with this my recipe for Frozen French Fries in the air fryer is a good one. If you are going all out bacon is good on this sandwich. I usually use Turkey Bacon on sandwiches.
Ham and Cheese in the air fryer is easy to do. You don’t even have to melt butter for the bread. I have a trick for that. Mayonaise works great and it is even easier to use.
I always think that the bread is a really important part of a sandwich so use one that you love. I am using Italian bread which I make weekly.
- Ham ( I used Rosemary Ham from Trader Joes)
- Mozzarella Cheese
See jump to recipe card for quantities and nutritional information.
I am going to show you exactly how to make grilled ham and cheese in air fryer. It is easy and has a cooking time of about 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 1 – Spread Mayonaise on one side of the piece of bread. This is the OUTSIDE of the sandwich bread. We are using mayo in place of butter. So i guess it is butter side down.
Step 2 – Place cheese slices and slices of ham on the sandwich. If you want mayo on the inside don’t forget that. If you are going to add any other toppings now is the time. I have added things like pesto sauce or roasted peppers.
Hint: While I put the sandwich together I like to preheat the air fryer to save time. If you do not have an air fryer yet and just looking at recipes take the plunge because they are great to have.
Step 3 – Place sandwiches in the air fryer basket. Air fry the sandwiches at 370 degrees fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes. I like it nice and golden brown and in my air fryer that takes 10 minutes. Flip the sandwiches halfway through the cooking time.
Tip: If you have an oven style air fryer it is common for the cooking time to be a few minutes longer.
- American Cheese – instead of Mozzarella cheese any cheese you prefer can be used.
- Butter – if you prefer you can use butter on the bread instead of mayonnaise. I like the avocado oil mayonnaise because it’s lower in saturated fat.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Pesto Sauce – I always keep store bought pesto around. It is gread spread on sandwiches.
- Roasted Peppers – roasted peppers add a great flavor to any sandwich.
- Artichoke Hearts – artichoke hearts or another favorite of mine to add to any hot sandwich.
I always try to list the equipment I use for the recipes I create. I do earn a small commission on these items at absolutely no cost to you.
I really appreciate the support and it helps me to keep creating recipes. These are some kitchen essentials that I find useful as well as items used in the creation of this recipe.
COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 6.8Qt, Max Xl Extra Large Cooker
Ninja Air Fryer, 4 Qt
Air Fryer Parchment Paper Basket Liners
Misen Santoku Knife – 7.5 Inch Japanese Style Kitchen Knife
I find if you make more than one of these sandwiches you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and they are still delicious. They are even good cold.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Turkey Bacon
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
Air Fryer Frozen Eggrolls
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Air Fryer Potstickers
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese and Ham
- 2 Slices Bread ( I used Italian Bread)
- 2 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 Slices Ham (about 6 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp. Mayonaise
- Preheat Air Fryer to 370 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Spread Mayo on one side of each piece of bread. We are using Mayo in Place of Butter.
- Place slice of bread Mayonaise side down and top with cheese, ham and any other toppings you enjoy. Top sandwich with the other piece of bread Mayonaise side up.
- Once air fryer is preheated spray the basket with oil. Place sandwich and air fryer basket.
- Cook sandwich 8-10 minutes flipping the sandwich halfway through the cooking time.