Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is one of the easiest recipes to make with your pressure cooker. This salsa chicken recipe is so versatile. I like to make it in large batches and keep it in the refrigerator. It can be used to make chicken tacos or chicken bowls or it can be put in salads or even soups.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
This is a great recipe when you are having guests. It can be made in a large batch and kept warm in the Instant Pot after cooking and the chicken stays juicy. These days who doesn’t like chicken tacos? Pretty sure tacos are a favorite of most people.
This recipe is fantastic for people that like to meal plan. Make it ahead of time and keep it in your fridge. If you’re a person that likes to take your lunch to work this recipe is perfect. Not to mention it is a lot healthier to bring your lunch to work and it will also save you a lot of money.
How to Use Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Burritos
- Chicken Bowls with Rice and Beans
How to Make Salsa Chicken
Making Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot is a simple process. I will show you step by step how to make this recipe and you will get fantastic results. This Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot is really what I call a Dump and Go recipe. Basically you put in all the ingredients set the timer and walk away.
- Chicken Breast
- Taco Seasoning
- Chipolte Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Water or Broth
Step 1 in making this Salsa Chicken is to pour half the salsa into the Instant Pot. I use the salsa from the refrigerated section of the supermarket. I think that is much tastier salsa. You can use jarred salsa if that is all you have available. Season the chicken with the Taco Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Chipolte Powder and Salt.
Step 2 Place Onion on top of the seasoned Salsa Chicken. Pour the other half of the Salsa on top of the chicken. Add the Cilantro to the top of the Salsa Chicken. Add 1/4 cup of water or broth to the Instant Pot.
Step 3 Put the Lid on your Instant Pot and turn the Valve to the SEAL Position. Press the ” Pressure Cook” button and set it to HIGH pressure. Set the timer for a cooking time of 10 Minutes. When cooking time is complete Natural Release pressure after letting sit 10 minutes.
Step 4 After releasing the pressure from the Instant Pot remove the lid. Remove the chicken and place it in a bowl big enough to hold the chicken and shred the chicken. Once the chicken is pulled return the chicken to the instant pot and stir to coat in the sauce. Remove chicken to serving bowl and top with chopped Cilantro and Scallions.
Step 5 If you plan on making tacos out of this Salsa Chicken heat tortillas in a dry non-stick skillet for about 2 minutes per side. Serve tacos with chopped onions, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Instructions
Place all ingredients in Slow Cooker Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours), or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. Shred the chicken in the slow cooker and toss with the remaining salsa and juices until well-mixed.
Kitchen Essentials and Items Used in This Recipe
Salsa Chicken (Instant Pot)
- 3 to 4 Chicken Breasts About 2 Pounds
- 16 oz Salsa From Cold Section of Market or Homemade
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning I used Trader Joes
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Chipolte Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Chopped Onion I used purple onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro Divided
- 2 Scallions Chopped Divided
- 1/4 Cup Water or Broth
- Add 1/2 the salsa to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place chicken on top of salsa
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning and chipotle powder
- Place chopped onion on chicken
- Cover chicken with other half of salsa.
- Add 1/4 Cup of water
- Sprinkle half of the Cilantro on top
- Place Lid on Instant Pot
- Turn Valve to Seal
- Pressure Cook on High 10 Minutes
- When cooking is complete Natural Release 10 Minutes and Release Pressure
- Add chicken to bowl and shred
- Return chicken to Instant Pot and Stir to coat with sauce.
- Serve as tacos or bowls with rice and beans.
- Garnish with leftover Scallions and Cilantro